Sunday, April 04, 2010

Easter Sunday.

This is a blog. But not really. What it really is, is some exciting (and not so exciting) things that i did, some stuff that i noticed and some pictures. The next few blogs will probably also be like this, i went to my Grandparents and had a smashing time and i'm sure (well, i'm hoping) that you missed me, so, here's what i got up to.

Sunday.

I'm sure every time i go there, my Grandparents get weirder. and sweary-er.

After a morning of nothing-muchness, we decided to go to the sea side in the afternoon. So, we went to Watchet.
The first thing we saw was a steam train, it was green, and very pretty. It was like Emily from Thomas The Tank Engine... you know, the Scottish one?... ok, only me then.

I waved at the driver and he waved back. That was brilliant!

We walked along by the harbour and saw lots of boats. You probably don't know this, but i like boats, they're definitely the most exciting mode of transport and a lot of them are really pretty.


This statue has the scariest face i have ever seen.


More boats, these aren't real though, they were for sale in the post office.


The Watchet museum, inside i found this picture which both terrifies me and fascinates me.


Apparently, The Rhyme Of The Ancient Mariner was inspired by the town. And they really like to make sure you know. This statue was one of MANY of the ancient mariner.


Random Fact - I am not a fan of The Rhyme Of The Ancient Mariner. I once had to memorise this bit and it's still taking up a significant chunk of my brain space -

All in a hot and copper sky,
The bloody sun, at noon,
Right up above the mast did stand,
No bigger than the moon.

Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

Water, water, every where,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink.

The very deep did rot: O Christ!
That ever this should be!
Yea, slimy things did crawl with legs
Upon the slimy sea.

About, about, in reel and rout
The death-fires danced at night;
The water, like a witch's oils,
Burnt green, and blue, and white.

And some in dreams assured were
Of the Spirit that plagued us so;
Nine fathom deep he had followed us
From the land of mist and snow.

And every tongue, through utter drought,
Was withered at the root;
We could not speak, no more than if
We had been choked with soot.

Ah! well-a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the Albatross
About my neck was hung."

Next, it was time for ice cream.
I had cappuccino flavour. It was yummy!




Seconds after i took this picture, the ice cream flew off the cone. but somehow, i caught it. It was very impressive, if i do say so myself.

Finally, i saw this



This is my grandparents' biggest local radio station, Quay West fm.

It was about 3 when we left Watchet, it should have been pretty easy to get home, BUT, my Grandad took the wrong turning and we got rather lost. 2 hours and 95 miles of driving down scary lanes, that's how lost we were.

After a while, we were very high up some sort of hill/mountain thing so we decided to use Wales as a reference point. Wales was to my left. Everything was fine, we continued driving down a straight road when suddenly, there was a tunnel of trees, five minutes later, we'd past the trees, but... "Oh GOD! Where's Wales??" Everything to my left is grass and this freaky red soil, i look to my left and to my relief, see Wales. But then it hits me. THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE!! I know that we didn't turn around, the road was straight, how can a whole country move? I'm no good at Physics but i know the world doesn't work like that! It's still confusing me now!

After we'd been lost for just over an hour, i suggested that we ask the next person we saw for directions. Well, there are some... "interesting" people in Somerset at the best of times but there, surrounded by empty fields, miles and miles from any habitation, there was no one. No one, except for one woman, we spotted her about 10 minutes after i suggested that. She was wearing a red tracksuit and a green anorak and had grey hair. She was standing by the side of the road and staring out, past the trees, to the sea. She didn't look at us when we stopped, in fact, i'm not sure if she looked at us at all, she might have just kept on staring.

"Hello" said my Grandad.

"Hello" said the woman.

"Could you possibly give us directions to Taunton, please?"

"No."

"Oh... well then, how long is this road?"

"This road, this road is very long."

"Yes, but where does it end?"

"This road never ends."

"Oh. Ok. Thanks for you help" *drives away very very quickly*.

The road did end. much much later. I'm beginning to wonder if she wasn't also a normal person once. Maybe, just like us, she took a wrong turning and got lost, but unlike us, gave up and has been standing there, by the side of that road, ever since.

Now THAT'S something to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment