Sunday, April 11, 2010

Saturday and Sunday

"Who's that bloody idiot dancing in the paella?"

"Jamie Oliver?"

"Tosser."

I don't actually remember what time my family started drinking on Saturday, it was after my parents had arrived, and after my father and i had been sent into town to place everyone's bets for The Grand National. But i seem to remember them all getting rather drunk. Especially my mother.

I got thrown out of the betting shop so had to sit on a bench outside. That was sad, i thought i might possibly look 18. but i don't. also, it was cold.


My view from the bench -


As i already mentioned, my parents came down to "The West" on Saturday. So did other members of my family but they went hunting then stayed elsewhere. I disagree with hunting, i also disagree with buying a shot gun for my 11 year old cousin. But my family are just like that. According to my cousin "There was a rabbit in one of our traps, then Uncle Bob punched it to death." delightful.

Another thing i learnt that week was that my family don't understand vegetarians. I heard my Grandmother tell one of her sisters "Well, Stephanie's a vegetarian, you know." and her sister replied "Oh well, maybe she'll get over it." *sigh*. They also don't understand what it *means* to be vegetarian - "No, i don't want to eat something that's been swimming round in the juice of a dead animal... No, i know it's not ACTUALLY meat but i still don't want to eat it... NO! i don't want a bacon sandwich instead." For Sunday lunch, i ended up eating two mouthfuls of cauliflower cheese then sitting, looking miserable for the rest of the meal.

Sunday was my Grandmother's birthday. She was 73. YAY! Happy Birthday!

As a tribute to her, here are two of my absolute favourite things she says -

1) Somebody else "shall i put the kettle on?"

My grandmother "no, it wouldn't suit you"

2) on seeing a man whose trousers are slightly too short for him either - "ooh, someone's trousers have had and argument with his shoes" OR "well, his trousers have divorced his ankles and married his knees"

Um... that's it.

Unless you want to look at this picture of me?


No comments:

Post a Comment